At the beginning of the year I set a number of style goals for myself. These were to:
- Buy less and make better use of what I already have.
- Buy better quality, investment pieces and avoid fast fashion.
- Shop as ethically as possible.
- Be bolder in my styling and to have as much fun with my clothes as possible.
- Actually make use of all my accessories and jewellery.
- Experiment more with my makeup.
- Go to the hairdresser more often.
- Make more effort to style my hair.
- Paint my nails every week.
In order to keep myself accountable to my goals I have began taking a daily mirror selfie to document each outfit I put together. With the exception of the first of January (I forgot what day it was) I haven’t missed a day yet, even the days I didn’t get dressed.
Now, a mirror selfie won’t help me shop more ethically or get me to the hairdresser but it has helped me tick off a few of my style goals. The mere act of documentation has pushed me to select items from the depths of my closet rather than consistently reach for old favourites. I am now wearing more of my jewellery and accessories and I have been pushing the boundaries with my styling.
I have found it so interesting to track how my style has evolved over the month that I now plan to continue this experiment for the entire year. I can’t wait to reflect up on an entire year of outfits at the end of 2018.
So here it is: a full month of mirror selfies.