After waxing, sugaring, and shaving for the past few years, one day I had finally had enough with the high prices, annoying ingrown hairs, and the painful procedures. After considering it for a few months, I finally made the jump into the world of laser hair removal.
Laser hair removal works by directing concentrated light into the hair follicle, which inhibits the hair’s future ability to grow. And this is all without disrupting or damaging your skin (yes please!). I found the whole process very interesting and conducted quite a bit of research before booking my first session. There are hundreds of articles out there about laser hair removal, so I have listed below the main things that I researched and learnt:
- It is 100% safe. There has been no research that has found any long-term side effects as a result of laser hair removal.
- The process is most effective on people with light skin and dark hair. Because the laser is searching for the pigment of dark hair, it may not be effective for blonde hair.
- Everyone responds differently in terms of pain, side effects, and results. I personally did not find it painful (especially in comparison to sugaring!), but a friend of mine did find it quite painful. I also had no side effects post-treatment except for a bit of redness. However, other patients may experience swelling and itchiness. Again, everyone responds differently and there is no way of telling how your body will respond.
- On average, it takes 4-8 sessions that are one month apart for permanent results. You will then need to have a session every 6-12 months to maintain these results.
- You cannot wax, sugar, or tweeze the area being treated in between sessions. You can, however, shave to your heart’s content between sessions!
- You must avoid sun exposure to the treated areas pre and post-treatment. This may be difficult for areas such as legs and arms, so please consider this before committing to sessions.
I have now had three sessions for laser hair removal on my underarms and bikini line. I am impressed to be seeing results already, with the hair growing back much slower and some hairs starting to fall out naturally. I have also not suffered any ingrown hairs between sessions.
I am lucky enough to find the sessions relatively pain-free and have not suffered any nasty side effects. My skin feels slightly warm during the procedure, and there is a very quick zap when the laser is applied. My skin is slightly pink for one-two days after the treatment, but I have not experienced any pain, swelling, or itching.
Overall, I am so far very impressed with laser hair removal. Whilst the initial cost can seem a bit steep, you just have to remember that this is permanent and will save you hundreds of dollars in the long run without having to get constantly waxed or sugared!
For our Leiden friends, I recommend Laser Clinics Australia. They have clinics all over the country and usually have the lowest prices. They also have great sales very regularly, so make sure you check out their website and Facebook for any deals!